Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Harder than it looks...

So I went out this weekend to do my first family session. Of course it was with my own family. The first of many I am sure. I learned a lot. Like how much I really don't know about taking pictures. It was pretty tricky for me to think about making a good exposure plus a compelling composition plus direct my kids and hubby plus about a million other things all at the same time. Wow. It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. But SO SO fun at the same time. I was in heaven.

I took close to 350 pictures and got maybe one or two that I would even consider hanging in my house. I don't know how anyone could learn photography with film. Can you imagine- 12 rolls of film and 100bucks later. Jeeze! Thank you digital photography!

Keep in mind, I don't have any editing software at all. I can't wait till I do. Maybe one day. Luckily for me though, my family is gorgeous and they don't need much editing. My photography could use some for sure, but my kids and hubby... well they are pretty much perfect. I'm not bias at all am I?

We live in a really old farming town that is full of old stuff and really awesome locations. I live along what the locals call Fruit Highway. That means fruit stands line the roads and the highways. And seeing how there is no fruit in season for this region, that means I have access to tons of vacant and very colorful backdrops (just don't tell the fruit farmers...tee hee!)

So with no further adieu, here is your picture overload of the stuff that turned out OK...

this one might be a little overexposed
i would like to crop in on this one a biti would have liked to be in front of the smile on these next two
these next two are my JeanSmith copycatsand this onehere is another one slightly overexposedhang in there...we still have 1 more location to go...

i'd crop this one if i could
you put your right foot in and you shake it all about...insert some sort of story board here...

BLOOPERS


"Hi momma!""Only one more mom" (...little did they know we were only just beginning)
"the wheels on the bus go round and round"
doing what little boys do best...throwing rocks at stuffthe end...finallySo pat yourself on the back if you made it threw all that. I know it was a lot of pictures. But... it is a photoblog...so...that's what you get. Thanks for looking!

9 comments:

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my gosh they turned out great! I love that last one, so cute! You are getting so good!

Sidney said...

so it's about time!!!! that is all i have to say! well that and.....
your kids are so adorable and you are a great photographer! i'm so happy you got a new camera....i knew how much you wanted one. and now you get to practice practice practice....i love looking at your pictures!

Aubrey said...

Ash, you have a GREAT eye. These pictures are amazing!

Javier said...

I think your pictures are great! One this is that I felt that I liked your blooper pictures more because they came more naturally from you family, it really gives the sence to the view like he/ she is there. The blooper photos add alot more personally to your family. Great job!:)

cora leeann said...

I love the one titled "the wheels on the bus go round and round" it shows great depth of field with the focus on your son. I also love the ones that you said you wish you were in front so you could have caught the smile from a different angle, but I love them the way they are! I think the side angle makes them much more interesting and pleasing to the eye.
also, I think you should invest in photoshop as soon as you can, it can make a terrible photo into an amazing one if you know what your doing, not to mention a great photo into something that'll blow people away! It doesn't seem like it'd make that much of a difference, but it does!
anyway, you have beautiful children, and your pictures of them are gorgeous!!

cora leeann said...

also, in the meantime, if you'd like someone to edit your photos (for free) I'd love to do it; I'd love the practice! if you're interested leave a comment on my blog (1thousandwordsorless.blogspot.com/) and I'll get back to you with my email! (I don't have a "contact me" link set up yet)

cora leeann said...

also, in the meantime, if you'd like someone to edit your photos (for free) I'd love to do it; I'd love the practice! if you're interested leave a comment on my blog (1thousandwordsorless.blogspot.com/) and I'll get back to you with my email! (I don't have a "contact me" link set up yet)

JackOAllTrades said...

lovely pics! I so want to be able to do this! I am still learning and heres my photography blog:

http://photoobomb.blogspot.in/

Please leave ur comments n help me improve

celina said...

your shots are amazing! i'm an amateur photographer and just started out blogging again! hope you could check out my blog sometime!

http://artofgettingbyx.blogspot.com/

thanks xx